Other Ways to Give

Stock or Securities

A gift of appreciated securities – either publicly traded or from a private company – may provide greater tax advantages than gifts of cash. With a gift of stock, you can deduct the fair market value as a charitable gift and completely avoid capital gains tax on the appreciation.

In order for Houston Public Media to properly credit your gift, please download and submit our Stock Transfer Instructions.

For specific transfer instructions, contact UBS Financial Services at (713) 985-3446. For questions about Houston Public Media Gift of Stock program contact Courtney Lamm, Chief Development Officer, at clamm@houstonpublicmedia.org or (713) 743-8410.


IRA Charitable Rollover

If you are aged 70½ or older*, you can make tax-free gifts of up to $100,000 per year, directly from your individual retirement account. These amounts can also count towards your required minimum distribution for the year, reducing your taxable income. Talk with your financial advisor or account administrator about making a tax-saving year-end gift to Houston Public Media today! To learn more or to donate to Houston Public Media, please contact Courtney Lamm, Chief Development Officer, at clamm@houstonpublicmedia.org or (713) 743-8410.

* If you turn 70½ on or after Jan. 1, 2020, you can use your gift to satisfy all or part of your required minimum distribution starting at the age of 72.


Next Steps

  1. Contact Courtney Lamm, Chief Development Officer, for additional information on giving an IRA gift.
  2. Seek the advice of your financial or legal advisor.
  3. Ask your IRA administrator about making a direct transfer to Houston Public Media or have the administer send a check from your account to us. (To be tax free, the donation must go directly from your account to Houston Public Media without passing through your hands.)


Legal Name: Houston Public Media Foundation Address: 4343 Elgin St, Houston, TX 77204-0008 Federal Tax ID Number: 74-1670740


IRA Charitable Donation FAQ


  • I’ve already named Houston Public Media as the beneficiary of my IRA. What are the benefits if I make a gift now instead of after my lifetime?
  • By making a gift this year of up to $100,000 from your IRA, you can see your philanthropic dollars at work. You are jump-starting the legacy you would like to leave and giving yourself the joy of watching your philanthropy take shape. Moreover, you can fulfill any outstanding pledge you may have made by transferring that amount from your IRA as long as it is $100,000 or less for the year.
  • I’m turning age 70½ in a few months. Can I make this gift now?
  • No. The legislation requires you to reach age 70½ by the date you make the gift.
  • I have several retirement accounts — some are pensions and some are IRAs. Does it matter which retirement account I use?
  • Yes. Direct rollovers to a qualified charity can be made only from an IRA. Under certain circumstances, however, you may be able to roll assets from a pension, profit sharing, 401(k) or 403(b) plan into an IRA and then make the transfer from the IRA directly to Houston Public Media. To determine if a rollover to an IRA is available for your plan, speak with your plan administrator.
  • Can my gift be used as my required minimum distribution under the law?
  • Yes, absolutely. If you have not yet taken your required minimum distribution, the IRA charitable rollover gift can satisfy all or part of that requirement. Contact your IRA custodian to complete the gift.
  • When do I need to make my gift?
  • We must receive your gift by Dec. 31 for your donation to qualify this year. If you have check-writing privileges on your IRA account, please mail your check by Dec. 20 in order to give us time to process your gift before the end of the year.
  • Do I need to give my entire IRA to be eligible for the tax benefits?
  • No. You can give any amount under this provision, as long as it is $100,000 or less this year. If your IRA is valued at more than $100,000, you can transfer a portion of it to fund a charitable gift.
  • I have two charities I want to support. Can I give $100,000 from my IRA to each?
  • No. Under the law, you can give a maximum of $100,000. For example, you can give each organization $50,000 this year or any other combination that totals $100,000 or less. Any amount of more than $100,000 in one year must be reported as taxable income.
  • My spouse and I would like to give more than $100,000. How can we do that?
  • If you have a spouse (as defined by the IRS) who is 70½ or older and has an IRA, he or she can also give up to $100,000 from his or her IRA.