In her new one-woman show and exhibit,Â The Jew Who Loves Christmas, Koenig dives into why she thinks Hannukah is illogical and why Christmas makes more sense.
The show is one night only, Friday, Dec. 6, fromÂ 6 to 8 p.m. (with the performance at 7 p.m.), but the accompanying exhibit runs through Jan. 3. Both are atÂ Fresh Arts’Â Winter Street Studios, located atÂ 2101 Winter Street.
Why Hanukkah is Illogical, By Abby Koenig:
1. Jews are really bad at fighting. Weâd rather pay someone to do that.
2. If we only had enough oil to last for one day, why did we not conserve the oil by blowing out the lamp in the daytime when light was not needed? Oil doesnât grow on trees, you know.
3. Did anyone else verify that there was only enough oil for one night? I would have liked a second opinion.
4. Sometimes I charge my phone and I think itâs only going to last the day and then I get a solid 36 hours out of it. Just sayinâ.
5. What does any of this have to do with gambling, i.e. dreidel?
6. At what point did presents, and of course when I say presents I mean socks and other useful items, become a part of the holiday and why?
7. There are like 5 spellings of the word Hanukkah.
Reasons Why Christmas is Logical:
1. Santa is awesome.
2. I have no idea what’s in Eggnog, and I assume if I knew I would stop drinking it immediately but as long as I remain ignorant to its ingredients. Eggnog delicious.
3. White Christmas, the song, was written by Irving Berlin and he was Jewish. So, there you go.