On this episode of Encore Houston, we feature a blend of classical and jazz music with strong Latin connections from Aperio, Music of the Americas, including the premiere of a new arrangement of Billy Strayhorn’s Take the “A” Train, a song originally popularized by Duke Ellington.
Music in this episode:
- ARTURO MÁRQUEZ: Danzon No. 2
- TRADITIONAL, arr. Brady Lanier: Nobody Knows the Trouble I’ve Seen
- TRAD., arr. Brady Lanier: Bye, Bye Blackbird
- TRAD., arr. Ken Easton: Sweet Georgia Brown
- BILLY STRAYHORN, arr. Ken Easton: Lush Life
- STRAYHORN, arr. Drew Zaremba: Take the “A” Train
- CHICK COREA: Spain
- MICHAEL TORKE: Fiji
- Conductor: Marlon Chen
- Performance date: 6/18/2021
- Encore – PAUL SCHOENFIELD: Café Music
- Performance date: 2/12/2015
- Originally aired: 10/23/2021
New episodes of Encore Houston air Saturdays at 10 PM, with a repeat broadcast Sundays at 4 PM, all on Houston Public Media Classical.
A previous version of this article incorrectly attributed Take the A Train to Duke Ellington and not Billy Strayhorn, the sole proprietor of the copyright. This has been corrected.