On this episode of Encore Houston, the River Oaks Chamber Orchestra embraces their playful side with a musical game in the form of a world premiere inspired by the legendary 1996 chess match between Garry Kasparov and the Deep Blue computer developed by IBM.
Music in this episode:
- HUW WATKINS: Anthem
- FELIX MENDELSSOHN: Concert Piece No. 1 for bassoon and clarinet
- Kristin Wolfe Jensen, bassoon
- Nathan Williams, clarinet
- MAXIME GOULET: Checkmate
- Lara Downes, piano
- BOHUSLAV MARTINŮ: Sinfonietta La Jolla
- Paul Watkins, conductor
- Encore – CLAUDE DEBUSSY, orch. Henri Büsser: Petite Suite
- Alastair Willis, conductor
- Performance date: 9/22/2019
- Originally aired: 10/19/2019
New episodes of Encore Houston air Saturdays at 10 PM, with a repeat broadcast Sundays at 4 PM, all on Houston Public Media Classical.