On our latest episode of Encore Houston, Mercury performs one of the great classical masterworks, Mozart’s Requiem. This was the composer’s final piece of music, actually left unfinished when he died, though it has endured in a completion by his contemporary Franz Xaver Sussmayr. The concert also features other works on the themes of mourning and loss.
Music in this episode:
- HENRY PURCELL, Funeral Music for Queen Mary (interspersed throughout the first half)
- HEINRICH SCHÜTZ, “Fili mi, Absalon” from Symphoniae sacrae
- GEORGE FRIDERICH HANDEL, “Figlia mia, non pianger, no” from Tamerlano
- HANDEL, “Quando spieghi i tuoi tormenti” from Orlando
- ANTONIO VIVALDI, “Veni, veni me sequere fida” from Juditha Triumphans
- WOLFGANG AMADEUS MOZART; ed. Franz Xaver Sussmayr, Requiem
- Hannah Celeste Lu, soprano
- Sarah Mesko, mezzo-soprano
- Aaron Sheehan, tenor
- Stephen Hegedus, bass
- Antoine Plante, conductor
- Performance date: 5/13/18
- Originally aired: 6/16/18
New episodes of Encore Houston air Saturdays at 10 PM, with a repeat broadcast Sundays at 4 PM, all on Houston Public Media Classical.