Briefcase: Collecting Delinquent Child Support

Guest: Tom Oldham


To embed this piece of audio in your site, please use this code:

<iframe src="" style="height: 115px; width: 100%;"></iframe>

Child support typically is paid monthly and usually ends when a child graduates from high school. Tom Oldham, with the University of Houston Law Center, is an expert in family law and explains what happens if child support payments are delinquent.

"If a parent does not pay the full amount of child support ordered, parents owed child support should know that the Texas Attorney General's office will, for a minimal charge of $25, help parents collect the amount due," Professor Oldham said.

As far as collecting back payments, "There appears to be no time limit in Texas," he continued. "Child support owed and not paid many years ago can still be collected. If the parent who owed child support is now receiving social security retirement benefits, one way to collect the amount owed is to ask the social security office to withhold some of the parent's benefits and forward them to the primary custodian."