Criminal Justice

Takeoff murder: Patrick Xavier Clark charged in fatal shooting of Migos rapper in downtown Houston

Takeoff was fatally shot in the early hours of Nov. 1 after a private party at 810 Billiards and Bowling Alley.

FILE – Takeoff of the group Migos performs during the 2019 BET Experience in Los Angeles on June 22, 2019. A representative confirms that rapper Takeoff is dead after a shooting outside of a Houston bowling alley. Takeoff , whose real name was Kirsnick Khari Ball, was part of Migos along with Quavo and Offset. He was 28. (Photo by Richard Shotwell/Invision/AP, File)

Houston police have arrested and charged a man in the shooting death of a popular Atlanta-based rapper last month.

Patrick Xavier Clark, 33, was arrested at a home on Houston's east side Thursday night and is charged in the murder of Kirsnick Khari Ball, better known as Takeoff from the Migos rap group.

Authorities say Takeoff was an innocent bystander and was not armed when he was fatally shot after a private party outside a downtown Houston bowling alley on Nov. 1.

Another man at the scene of the shooting, Cameron Joshua, 22, was arrested earlier this week and faces a gun charge for being a felon in possession of a firearm, although it's not believed he was involved in the shooting.

Investigators said Friday at a news conference that they used surveillance and cell phone video from the scene and didn't get any help from the more than thirty people who witnessed the shooting.

"Literally every single one of those people left the scene without giving a statement to police," Houston Police Sgt. Michael Burrow said. "We found a few of them that night, we found others since then, but it's important that those people come forward."

Authorities had very few details about what led them to Clark as a suspect and said the investigation is ongoing.

"The main thing right now, he's in custody. He's arrested and he's charged for this murder," Houston Police Chief Troy Finner said. "Still some work to be done on it."

Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner said he had spoken to Atlanta Mayor Andre Dickens about the arrest and had kept him informed about the status of the investigation over the past month.

"This is a significant step toward seeking justice and I hope it also brings additional comfort to all of those who loved Takeoff," Turner said.

Takeoff, who was 28 when he was killed, started as a member of the Migos group in 2008.

 

Today in Houston Newsletter Signup
We're in the process of transitioning services for our Today in Houston newsletter. If you'd like to sign up now, fill out the form below and we will add you as soon as we finish the transition. **Please note** If you are already signed up for the newsletter, you do not need to sign up again. Your subscription will be migrated over.