News

Suspect Arrested, Charged With Murder Of 8-Year-Old Boy, After Drive-By Shooting

Devonte Lockett, 18, has been arrested and charged with murder, for his involvement in last month’s drive-by shooting

Officials said they have arrested and charged Devonte Lockett, 18, for his involvement in last month’s drive-by shooting, which killed an 8-year-old boy.

8-year-old Tristian Hutchins died from a gunshot wound to the head, weeks after the March 1st shooting, in the Third Ward. The boy’s 5-year-old sister was wounded in the leg. They were sitting in their mother’s car, while she was reportedly checking on wait-times at a nail salon. 

Police said an 11-year-old was also in the car during the time of the shooting, and was not wounded. 

Acevedo corrected the age of Lockett in a following tweet, stating the Lockett is 18-years-old.

In the past, Houston Police have said the shooting is gang-related, and more than one person may have been involved. 

“We do believe there was more than one shooter and there was more than one firearm used in this incident,” said HPD executive assistant chief Matt Slinkard during a press conference held on March 2.

More details about the arrest are expected to be released, later this afternoon.

“Violence against our kids will not be tolerated,” Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner said, in a statement. “We will work overtime and spend whatever it takes to protect our children. In this case I want to thank law enforcement and more importantly the community for providing the needed information that led to this arrest.” 

Share