This article is over 6 years old


In D.C., Group Of Protesters Breaks Windows; Police Use Pepper Spray

One inauguration protest erupted into conflict; officers in riot gear sent a concussive device into the crowd of several hundred. The interim police chief says protests elsewhere have been peaceful.


An inauguration protest in Washington, D.C., turned confrontational on Friday, as several hundred black-clad protesters broke windows and police responded with pepper spray and a concussive device.

Ninety-five people have been arrested across the city, according to the Metropolitan Police Department. The city’s interim chief of police, Peter Newsham, told CNN that the violent group comprised a small proportion of the overall protests, distinguishing between that group and others protesting peacefully elsewhere.

Much of the violence broke out in Northwest D.C., not directly along the parade route. During clashes between police and protesters there, officers have used pepper spray in attempts to contain the protests, reports Patrick Madden of member station WAMU.

Patrick says that earlier in the day, protesters were running through streets, breaking windows with hammers and knocking over trash cans.


He says police, some wearing riot gear, chased the protesters on motorcycles and used the pepper spray and an unidentified concussive device to subdue the demonstration.

At one point, a group of protesters charged and broke the police line, Madden reports.

Video from the area, posted by veteran protest live-streamer Tim Pool, showed police tightly surrounding a group of people coughing from the pepper spray.

Several people on the video identified themselves as lawyers who were observing the protest and said they were not participating in the protest when they were caught in the group of people being hemmed in by police.

The self-identified lawyers in the group were particularly vocal that their detainment was unjustified.

Meanwhile, at checkpoints along the parade route and sites around downtown D.C., supporters of President-elect Donald Trump gathered to celebrate the inauguration, while other anti-Trump protests continued peacefully.

Protests at the Navy Memorial — closer to the middle of the parade route — are loud but peaceful, according to NPR’s Pam Fessler. She reports that protesters are lined up along the route, across the street from Trump supporters, to ensure their “voices are heard” when Trump passes by.

NPR’s Jessica Taylor described some of the other protests on NPR’s live coverage of the inauguration:

“NPR’s Hansi Lo Wang reports that there were dozens of protesters chanting ‘No Trump! No KKK! No fascist USA!’ and ‘We are united!’ in Spanish just outside the security checkpoint at 12th and E streets NW, a block away from the Trump International Hotel. ‘They’re next to people waiting to be screened to enter the parade viewing area. One Trump supporter yelled back in response, “Go Trump!” ‘ Hansi reports. …

“Black Lives Matter protesters have positioned themselves outside D.C. police headquarters, according to NPR’s Joe Shapiro. Janaya Khan … led a group of about 80 people in a chant saying, ‘That is not my president.’ “

At around 11:30 a.m. ET, a Secret Service spokesman said all demonstrations are “under police control,” NPR’s Brian Naylor reports.

Copyright 2017 NPR. To see more, visit
Today in Houston Newsletter Signup
We're in the process of transitioning services for our Today in Houston newsletter. If you'd like to sign up now, fill out the form below and we will add you as soon as we finish the transition. **Please note** If you are already signed up for the newsletter, you do not need to sign up again. Your subscription will be migrated over.