Breaking News: Shots Fired At Houston International Airport; Shooter Dead

It was a chaotic scene this afternoon in Terminal B at Bush Intercontinental Airport after man began firing a gun and then apparently shot himself. KUHF's Florian Martin reports from the airport, the investigation into the shooting is just beginning.


To embed this piece of audio in your site, please use this code:

<iframe src="" style="height: 115px; width: 100%;"></iframe>

At last check, most of Terminal B was still shut down as investigators look at the scene. Flights into and out of the airport have been delayed. You should check with your carrier if you have a flight scheduled out of Terminal B this evening.


Audio from the 4:00 p.m. HPD press conference:


Updated at 4:22 p.m. on HPD’s Facebook page:

The armed suspect in the airport incident has died from his injuries. He entered Terminal B and fired at least one shot in the air. A nearby Department of Homeland Security Officer heard the gunfire and immediately responded. The Homeland Security Officer and the suspect fired shots simultaneously. The suspect was struck and treated by responding paramedics who pronounced him dead in an ambulance. The Harris County Medical Examiner (Institute of Forensic Sciences) will determine the suspect’s cause of death.

No other travelers in the terminal were hurt. The airport remains safe and the area of the terminal was quickly contained. The investigation remains ongoing.



Mayor Parker tweet

Details revealed at 4 p.m. Houston Police Department press conference:

No passengers were injured.

Suspect discharged weapon into the ceiling.

Homeland Security Special Agent heard the shot and approached the alleged shooter.

The special agent fired.  

Suspect may also have shot himself at the same time, but investigation is underway.

Suspect later died in the ambulance. Cause of death will be determined and HPD not releasing an I.D.


Update at 3:32 p.m.

HOUSTON (AP) — Witnesses are describing hearing two shots — and then a few more — inside Bush Intercontinental Airport in Houston today.

A police spokesman says shots were fired near a ticket counter, and at least one armed man was critically injured. The gunfire sent people in the terminal scrambling in panic.

Police say the injured person was taken to an area hospital with life-threatening injuries.

One man says he was at the baggage handling area, waiting for his sister to arrive on an incoming flight, when he heard the gunfire from the shots above. Police rushed in, and he says he directed them to the floor above him.

Parts of the terminal were blocked off as police investigated the shooting. The airport said passengers were being directed to other terminals.


A KHOU tweet:

On HPD’s Facebook page:

About 1:35 p.m. today, a report of shots fired at Bush Intercontinental Airport was received by HPD at Terminal B. A lone armed male has suffered at least one gunshot wound and has been transported to an area hospital with life threatening injuries. There are no other reports of injuries nor other persons involved. Further information will be posted as it is confirmed.

Update at 2:15 p.m.: The image below is from the FAA website. Terminal B is closed and IAH has a “Ground Stop” in effect for traffic arriving.

FAA post


Update at 2:00 p.m.:

HOUSTON (AP) — Houston police say shots have been fired at the city’s largest international airport and at least one man has been injured.

Houston police spokesman John Cannon says a call came in at 1:35 p.m. on Thursday that there had been a “discharge of firearms” near the ticket counter at Terminal B at Houston’s Bush Intercontinental Airport.

Cannon says one armed man has been transported to an area hospital with life-threatening injuries. He says no other information is available at this time.

Subscribe to Today in Houston

Fill out the form below to subscribe our new daily editorial newsletter from the HPM Newsroom.

* required