This week’s episode of Encore Houston takes us on a globetrotting trip with Mercury and Jean-Philippe Rameau. Les Indes Galantes is an opera-ballet that uses mythology as a framing device to tell four self-contained love stories in different locales, from Turkey, Peru, Persia, and North America. This particular concert does not feature the entire work, but instead the assorted dances and character pieces from each act–basically everything that doesn’t require singing! There are also additional works by François Couperin and Marin Marais.
Music in this episode:
- JEAN-PHILIPPE RAMEAU, Les Indes Galantes – Prologue
- RAMEAU, Les Indes Galantes – Act II
- FRANÇOIS COUPERIN, La Sultane
- RAMEAU, Les Indes Galantes – Act I
- RAMEAU, Les Indes Galantes – Act III
- MARIN MARAIS, Folies d’Espagne
- RAMEAU, Les Indes Galantes – Act IV
- Encore: WOLFGANG AMADEUS MOZART, Piano Sonata No. 11 – III. Alla turca – Allegretto
- Performance date: 2/11/2017
- Originally aired: 2/3/2018
New episodes of Encore Houston air Saturdays at 10 PM, with a repeat broadcast Sundays at 4 PM, all on Houston Public Media Classical.