MUSIQA presents an evening of not just music, but poetry as well, on this week’s Encore Houston! The concert features works for chamber ensemble from all living composers, including a piece by MUSIQA composer Pierre Jalbert that was partially inspired by a night drive in Houston. Mark Kilstofte’s The White Album is the concert’s finale, and that work uses texts that share similar subjects and imagery, one of which is by Erica Funkhouser, who was present for the concert to give a reading of some of her work.
- LAURA SCHWENDINGER, Wet Ink
- DAVID RAKOSWKI, Natura Morta
- PIERRE JALBERT, Piano Trio No. 2
- Poetry reading by Erica Funkhouser
- MARK KILSTOFTE, The White Album
- Karol Bennett, soprano
- Performance date: 1/7/2017
- Originally aired: 5/27/2017
New episodes of Encore Houston air Saturdays at 10 PM, with a repeat broadcast Sundays at 4 PM, all on Houston Public Media Classical.