On this week’s episode of Encore Houston, KINETIC returns with musical “Sketches,” presenting early works from Mendelssohn and Barber, music by Frank Martin (who studied math and physics in school before settling in as a composer), and a world premiere from Alexandra T. Bryant and a piece inspired by literal pencil sketches from Leonardo da Vinci! We also include a performance from KINETIC’s inaugural season of a famous string orchestra work by Ralph Vaughan Williams.
- FELIX MENDELSSOHN, Sinfonia No. 4 in C minor
- SAMUEL BARBER, Serenade, Op .1
- ALEXANDRA T. BRYANT, Paper Dreams
- With students from Johnston Middle School, HSPVA, and Rice University
- FRANK MARTIN, Pavane couleur du temps
- MARTIN, Etudes for string orchestra
- RALPH VAUGHAN WILLIAMS, Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis
- Performed 10/18/2015
- Natalie Lin, concertmaster
- Performance date: 1/21/2017
- Originally aired: 4/29/2017
New episodes of Encore Houston air Saturdays at 10 PM, with a repeat broadcast Sundays at 4 PM, all on Houston Public Media Classical.