On this special edition of Houston Matters, we offer our third-annual Newcomers Guide to Houston!
Whether you're new to town, or just want a refresher on the basics of life in the Bayou City, this is a must listen. We cover absolutely as much territory as we can in an hour, presenting the lowdown on everything you need to know about Greater Houston.
News 88.7 reporters join us to offer the skinny on the subjects they cover:
- Transportation reporter Gail Delaughter offers counsel on traversing this enormous metropolitan area of ours, while traffic reporter Keith Myles provides a primer on our highway nicknames.
- Politics and government reporter Andrew Schneider lays out how city and county government is organized and discusses what you need to know about the general political leanings of Houstonians.
- Business reporter Florian Martin gives you the lowdown on what makes our economy go and how much money you might expect to spend here compared to elsewhere.
- Energy and environment reporter Dave Fehling talks about the condition of our air and water, what's going on with the energy industry and why selecting your electricity plan is more complicated than you might realize.
- Health and science reporter Carrie Feibel presents the basics on doctors, hospitals, what the Med Center's all about and health access.
- Education reporter Laura Isensee runs over the basics of public and private schools and higher education.
- Arts and culture reporter Amy Bishop suggests resources to track the wide arts offerings in town.
Plus, Jeff Balke gives you the lowdown on Houston’s sports teams.
Welcome to Houston!