FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Houston Public Media Wins 11 Lone Star Awards
Hosted by the Houston Press Club, the annual Lone Star Awards recognize achievements its members make in journalism and mass communications in the state of Texas.
HOUSTON – (June 10, 2017) – Houston Public Media was honored to receive 11 Houston Press Club Lone Star Awards including a sweep of the TV Photojournalist of the Year category.
See the results below and revisit these award-winning pieces:
- Politics/Government – First Place: Andrew Schneider, “Will 2016 Be the Year Texas Latinos Vote in Strength?”
- Journalist of the Year – Second Place: Laura Isensee
- Radio Series – Second Place: Andrew Schneider, “Hate Crimes in Houston Go Underreported, Rarely Prosecuted”
- Public Affairs – Second Place: Houston Matters Staff, “Was the City of Beaumont Intentionally Trying to Restrict People with Disabilities from Living There?”
- Use of Sound – Second Place: Amy Bishop, “Quidditch Lands on Earth in a Houston Suburb”
- Hard News Feature – Third Place: Dave Fehling, “Texas has Thousands of Bad Dams, Two in Houston Deemed ‘Extremely High Risk'”
- Photojournalist of the Year – First Place: Matthew Brawley
- Photojournalist of the Year – Second Place: Joe Brueggeman
- Photojournalist of the Year – Third Place: Fujio Watanabe
- Feature Photography – Third Place: Matthew Brawley, “Everyday Strangers”
- Editing – Third Place: Matthew Brawley, “Body Art: The Moving Canvas”
The Lone Star Awards are given each year in recognition of outstanding achievements in journalism and mass communication in the state of Texas. Awards are given to first, second, and third place entries in each category.
About Houston Public Media
Houston Public Media combines broadcast and digital assets to serve residents of Southeast Texas with a curated mix of trusted local news and entertainment with exceptional national programming from NPR and PBS. Houston Public Media is a public service from the University of Houston, its license holder, and is supported with financial gifts to the Houston Public Media Foundation. With a combined weekly audience of more than 1.5 million, Houston Public Media is committed to delivering content that expands minds and possibilities with trusted information. Connect on Facebook at facebook.com/houstonpublicmedia and Twitter at twitter.com/houstonpubmedia.
Lori Pennington or Cherri Carbonara
Carbonara Group Carbonara Group
o: 713-524-8170 o: 713-524-8170