The Houston Public Media Spelling Bee is the nation’s largest local spelling bee with spellers from over 1,100 schools in 42 Texas counties representing 100,000+ students.
56 spellers, grades third through eighth, will face-off on Sat., April 1 for the 2017 Houston Public Media Spelling Bee, the nation’s largest local spelling bee. New this year, early rounds will stream live at houstonpublicmedia.org/spellingbee at 1:30 p.m. and final rounds will air live on TV 8 and online at 7:00 p.m.
The top two spellers will advance to the Scripps National Spelling Bee, May 28 – June 2, 2017, in the Washington, D.C. area with an all-expenses-paid trip to Bee Week.
Below are pictures of the 2016 Houston Public Media Co-Champions: Shourav Dasari and Nihar Janga. Both competed at the 2016 Scripss National Spelling Bee where Nihar Janga earned the co-champion title with Jairam Hathwar. To view more photos of the 2016 Houston Public Media Spelling Bee, visit our flickr album.
PREVIOUS SPELLING BEE NEWS ARTICLES
- Houston Spelling Bee Has Two New Co-Champions
- “P-R-O-C-E-S-S, That’s the Way you Spell Success”
- National Spelling Bee ends with 2 winners
- Houston student reaches championship round in national spelling bee
- Houston students reach semi-finals in Scripps National Spelling Bee
- Why being a foodie could help you win the spelling bee