This Wednesday and Thursday our Houston Public Media Spelling Bee co-champions will join hundreds of contestant spellers from across the country at the 89th Scripps National Bee, aiming for victory and prizes worth more than $30,000.
Follow Shourav Dasari (speller No. 233), a Spring resident and seventh-grader at McCullough Jr. High in Conroe ISD, and Nihar Janga (speller No. 232), an Austin resident and fifth-grader at River Ridge Elementary in Leander ISD, as they compete in the national event televised on ESPN.
Think you’re as smart as a fifth or seventh grader? Try your hand at the actual 2015 Preliminaries Test and see if you could have qualified for the Semifinals. Good Luck!
Preliminaries Test: Tuesday, May 24, 7:30 – 8:30 a.m.
Preliminaries – Wednesday, May 25 at 7 a.m. on ESPN3
Finals – Thursday, May 26 at 9 a.m. on ESPN2
Finals – Thursday, May 26 at 7 p.m. on ESPN
Photos from the 2016 Houston Public Media Spelling Bee
The Houston Public Media Spelling Bee is the nation’s second largest local spelling bee with spellers from 1,000 schools in 42 Texas Counties representing 100,000+ students. To view more photos of the 2016 Houston Public Media Spelling Bee, visit our flickr album.
SPELLING BEE NEWS ARTICLES
- Houston Spelling Bee Has Two New Co-Champions
- “P-R-O-C-E-S-S, That’s the Way you Spell Success”
- National Spelling Bee ends with 2 winners
- Houston student reaches championship round in national spelling bee
- Houston students reach semi-finals in Scripps National Spelling Bee
- Why being a foodie could help you win the spelling bee