The Check’s in the Mail? Not for Much Longer.

Just over seven months remain before the Treasury Department phases out the use of checks for Social Security payments. Those still getting a monthly check have until March 1 to choose an option for electronic payment.

More than 374,000 Texans still receive Social Security and other supplemental income payments by check each month. That puts Texas third in the nation in check volume for federal benefits.

Walt Henderson is director of the Treasury Department’s Go Direct Campaign.

“The good news is that 91% of the payments that we send to Texas are already by direct deposit. So that’s pretty good progress, and we’re just focusing in on that remaining 9%.”

Roughly 6 million people nationwide are still receiving federal benefits by check.  Henderson estimates that switching those individuals over to electronic payments will save the federal government roughly $1 billion over the next ten years.

Details about how to register for electronic payment of benefits are available by calling (800) 333-1795 or online at


Andrew Schneider

Andrew Schneider

Politics and Government Reporter

Andrew heads Houston Public Media’s coverage of national, state, and local elections. He also reports on major policy issues before the Texas delegations in the U.S. House and Senate, as well as the Texas governorship, the state legislature, and county and city governments. Before taking up his current post, Andrew...

More Information