The district floated the idea of a schedule overhaul about a month ago and starting tonight will beginhearing directly from parents and students. HISD says a change to a more uniform bell schedule for elementary, middle and high school campuses
will save the district more than a million dollars next school year.
This is HISD’s Jason Spencer:
“We hope just to get a good cross-section of folks out at these public hearings. We’re going to have 11 of them in the coming days and we hope at the end of the day we can take all of that feedback, all of the feedback that we get from our principals and from our survey and from the community at large and just make an informed decision about what’s best for our kids.”
Tonight’s meetings will be held at Austin, Bellaire and Chavez high schools starting at 6. More meetings are planned for tomorrow night and next week. Spencer admits not everyone likes the proposal, but says it’s needed because of increasing budget pressures.
“When you get to the point where we are in terms of budget cutting and you’ve cut as much fat as you can, you’re at the point where you’re making cuts that are painful and this is just another example of one of the painful decisions that we’re forced into having to make because of the $5.3 billion cut in public education funding from the state.”
The proposed bell schedule change would add 19 minutes to the average school day. A final decision on the change is set for
HISD Public Meeting Schedule
- April 3 (Tuesday) – 6-7 p.m.
- Austin HS (1700 Dumble)
- Bellaire HS (5100 Maple Street)
- Chavez HS (8501 Howard)
- April 4 (Wednesday) – 6-7 p.m.
- Lamar HS (3325 Westheimer)
- Sharpstown HS (7504 Bissonnet)
- Waltrip HS – (1900 West 34th )
- April 9 (Monday) – Noon-1 p.m. at the Hattie Mae Educational Support Center (4400 W. 18th Street)
- April 9 (Monday) – 6-7 p.m. at Westside High School (14201 Briar Forest)
- April 10 (Tuesday) – 6-7 p.m.
- Wheatley HS (4801 Providence)
- Worthing HS (9215 Scott)
- Yates HS (3703 Sampson)