Rachel Barton Pine, classical violinist, and member of the metal band Earthen Grave, has played with orchestras all over the world, and under the baton of many renowned conductors. But in this episode of the Classical Classroom, she comes back to a piece – over, and over, and over, and over – studied by every young violin player. Rachel shows us how Mendelssohn’s Violin Concerto in E Minor has been interpreted by violinists across history and cultures, and how this ebullient piece is given new life by each new musician who plays it.
Audio production by Todd “Toddy Ruxpin” Hulslander, with kind of creepy hovering during the editing process by Dacia Clay.
Music in this episode:
– “Life Carries On” from Dismal Times, by Earthen Grave
– Brahm’s Violin Concerto, Rachel Barton Pine with Chicago Symphony Orchestra. Carlos Kalmar conducting.
– “Rock You Like a Hurricane” from Love at First Sting by the Scorpions.
– “Ice Cream Man” from Van Halen by Van Halen.
– Mendelssohn’s Violin Concerto in E Minor as performed (not necessarily in this order) by:
— Rachel Barton Pine with Gottinger Symphonie Orchester. Christoph-Mathias Mueller conducting.
— Joshua Bell with Camerata Salzburg. Roger Norrington conducting.
— Fritz Kreisler with Berlin State Opera Orchestra. Leo Blech conducting.
— Jascha Heifetz with Boston Symphony Orchestra. Sir Thomas Beecham conducting.
— Maxim Vengerov with Leipzig Gewandhaus Orchestra. Kurt Masur conducting.
— Isaac Stern with Philadelphia Orchestra. Eugene Ormandy conducting.
— Henryk Szeryng with London Symphony Orchestra. Antal Dorati conducting.
— Nathan Milstein with New York Philharmonic. Bruno Walter conducting.
— Anne-Sophie Mutter with Berlin Philharmonic. Herbert von Karajan conducting.
— Itzhak Perlman by London Symphony Orchestra. Andre Previn conducting.
— Maud Powell
For more information about Classical Classroom: www.houstonpublicmedia.org/classroom
For more information about Rachel Barton Pine:
But wait! There’s more!
In this short Classical Classroom, she talks about the most important thing her two musical loves share in common: emotional power.
Audio production by Todd “Goes to 11” Hulslander with lighters in the air by Dacia Clay.
Music in this episode:
– “Death Is Another Word” from Earthen Grave, by Earthen Grave
– Brahm’s Violin Concerto, Chicago Symphony Orchestra, Carlos Kalmar conducting.
– “Rock You Like a Hurricane” from Love at First Sting by the Scorpions
– “Ice Cream Man” from Van Halen by Van Halen
– “Arpeggios from Hell” by Yngwie Malmsteen
– Tchaikovsky’s Violin Concerto in D major, Vadim Repin with Kirov Orchestra. Valery Gergiev conducting.
– Sibelius’ Violin Concerto in D minor, Salvatore Accardo with London Symphony Orchestra. Sir Colin Davis conducting.
– “Wasted Years” from Somewhere in Time by Iron Maiden
– “Ozzy/ Black Sabbath Medley” by Rachel Barton Pine