Audio production by Todd "Troubled Island" Hulslander with barely audible suggestions from Dacia Clay.
Thanks to MusicLab intern Princeton Miles for lending his dulcet tones to this episode. Thanks also to St. John Flynn and Daniel Webbon for their contributions to our timeline, and to Daniel for his music research minioning.
Music in this episode includes:
– Ludwig van Beethoven, Violin Sonata No. 9 (Kreutzer Sonata)
– Samuel Coleridge-Taylor, Hiawatha's Wedding Feast
– William Grant Still, Symphony No. 1, "Afro-American"
– George T Walker, Jr., Lilacs for voice and orchestra
– Wynton Marsalis, from Blood on the Fields
Resources we used for this presentation:
Abdul, R. (1976, Jun 26). Blacks and classical music. New York Amsterdam News (1962-1993). Retrieved from http://search.proquest.com.ezproxy.lib.uh.edu/docview/226537824?accountid=7107
Chronology of african american contributions to classical music. (2008, Mar). Michigan Citizen. Retrieved from http://search.proquest.com.ezproxy.lib.uh.edu/docview/367972392?accountid=7107
Clark, A. (2007, Jan). CLASSICAL MUSIC. Colorlines, 10, 47-50,4. Retrieved from http://search.proquest.com.ezproxy.lib.uh.edu/docview/215538232?accountid=7107